What’s up everyone , these days i’m deep into the TV show The Wire which is fast becoming my favorite TV show of all time! Now i have only finished about 4.5 out of the 5 full seasons but i’m loving it to the bone already.
This post however , is not a rant about the entire show . Heck i could write a book about the whole damn show , i love it that much. This is not even a character analysis because heck i can do an essay each on most of the characters , they are that detailed. This article , is merely a small analysis your boi gaba conducted on some episodes in season 4 which i thought of sharing with you guys. So that means , from here on wards …
THIS ARTICLE CONTAINS SPOILERS !!!!!!!
DO NOT READ FURTHER IF YOU PLAN TO WATCH THE WIRE IN THE FUTURE!!!
OK i warned you mofos , so let’s get to it ..
To begin my small analysis i`ll give you a small background about The Wire season 4. Each season of The Wire focuses on various areas of city life in the urban jungle of Baltimore. In season 4 , we are introduced to a group of school children who are the center piece around which the story unfolds. This group of boys i’m talking about are the ones in the picture above. From left to right : Namond , Michael , Randy and Dukie. All four are buddies who are in the same clique. ( There is another adorable kid called Donut but he is not in this picture and is somewhat a side character ).
So these four boys are each very different in character and my favorite of them all ( least at this moment ) , is Michael. On whom my little analysis will be built around.
Now like i said earlier , i am NOT going to do any in depth character analysis here because character build ups in The Wire is so deep , so deep and layered that it would take a long ass essay just to analyze each character. So i will only tell you guys the points that are relevant to my analysis.
Michael , is a kid who is more complex than the rest of the kids in his group. He is:
- Responsible : taking full responsibility of his step brother bug , acting as the man of the house because his mother is a crack addict
- Strong , both psychically and mentally : coach Cutty saying that he has a natural ability to fight , remaining cool through all mayhem in his life
- Smart , both book and street : Finishing all his math home work alone and tutoring his brother , not panicking when drug fiends tried to pressurize him
And unlike his friends he is not naive and has clearly matured waaay past his age. Because of all these strong characteristics both street hustler bodie and Kingpin Marlo ( through his right hand man Chris ) try to recruit him to their gangs. But Michael being the man he is , shows us that he is a man of principal by simply working for bodie until his debt is payed off and rejecting the Marlo gang offer two or three times. Which assures everyone that Michael despite being a kid is not to be fucked with.
So , there is a load of good things about Michael right ? Looks like he is one hell of a strong , junk free character right ? Well , NO.
You see i once heard this saying while watching a video essay on a movie , i can’t remember where exactly. But it said A movie is about two things , what the director tells you on screen and what he does not tell.
In short , sometimes the creators of a movie will leave little seeds of doubt on screen , which if we pick up , can lead to numerous conclusions and imaginations of our own.
There are such seeds in Michael’s character too , various strange behaviors that he exhibits which make us think that there is something else going on here. Something that is not shown on screen about Michael.
Let me break down those suspicious clues one by one.
- Michael and his friends all visit Cutty’s boxing gym often. Cutty is an ex-con who has now turned around and is trying to serve his community as a boxing coach ( and my favorite character from Season 3 probably ). It is evident from the beginning though , that Michael does NOT like to be touched by Cutty. He even turns down the offer Cutty made to train him personally after Cutty spotted how gifted he is.
- Suspicions about these strange behaviors by Michael grow , when he gets out of a car ( almost slightly scared ) when he and Cutty are alone in Cutty’s car and Cutty offers him a ride home after taking the boys to a boxing game.
- Before long , we get a clue about what really must have happened to Michael. Michael’s step father comes home from prison ( i think ) . And from the moment he walks in to Michael’s home , we see an immediate change of the vibe around Michael. He seems to be upset all the time ever since step father came home and in my opinion , the below scene really puts the seal on what must have happened to Michael. Step dad tries to threateningly mop his hair to which Michael reacts with fear + disgust.
- A few days after the above incident the Director lays it down clearly for you slow mofos ( 😛 ) where Michael in conversation about his troubles with his besties , directly voices his concern about Cutty being gay.